Friday, January 21, 2011

I'm Thankful for Adoption

My brother-in-law, Mark, is adopted.  He's the youngest in a family 6 children, the rest of whom were conceived naturally.  I'm not sure why Dave's mom was inspired to seek to adopt at that point in time.  I don't know exactly why Mark's first set of adopted parents decided that they didn't want him after all.  But I'm just so glad that Denise called at the right time, when they were trying to find a new home for then-infant Mark.  He's now 14, and such a part of the family that I can't imagine life without him.  And I'm sure that the Lord had a hand in it; he knew the wonderful things that would happen for Mark and for his family because of this adoption.

This is not how most adoptions take place; it's usually the biological mother who has to search through tons of profiles and choose the people (based on very little information) that she will give her child to.  Pictures, an online profile or website, or even phone calls do not provide very much information about the people that will raise and shape the child that you give life to.  But the Lord knows about this too.  I am sure that he prompts and inspires people as they are trying to decide who will be the best parents for their child, if they will seek his guidance.

If you (or someone you know) are trying to decide on a couple to adopt your child, please consider the matter after praying for the Lord to guide you in your decision.  This will bless your life and the life of your child.  And it will bless the lives of the couple you choose, too.

This is not a random post.  I have two friends who are actively trying to adopt.  Neither couple is able to have children.  After praying for inspiration and guidance, please take a look at their blogs (Holly and Sam, Rachel and Ryan) or their LDS Family Services adoption profiles (Rachel and Ryan, Holly and Sam).  You can also find a button for each couple at the top of my blog.  Maybe the spirit will guide you to choose one of them to adopt your child, and maybe it won't.  But I'm hoping that God's will can be carried out through the inspiration and actions of both biological mothers and adoptive parents, to make God's children as happy as he wants them to be.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet story, Merry. It's amazing what a miracle adoption can be for everyone involved. It seems like every time I turn around I have that confirmed to me again and again.

    And, of course, thanks for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I agree completely!! I was adopted and thank Heavenly Father daily for the family I was sent to. I have also had friends give up babies for adoption, and watching the sacrifices and struggles they go through is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, of course! I know that adoption is not for everyone, but that it is inspired and, as you said, a miracle.

    Kristi, I didn't know that you were adopted. I'm glad that you were sent to the family you have too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! You're awesome Mer

    ReplyDelete